Vortice Dance Company
Vortice Dance Company from Portugal, is renowned known for its contemporary dance and award winning productions of Dracula and Soliloquy
Cláudia Martins and Rafael Carriço are the directors and choreographers of Vortice Dance Company. Graduated from the Escola Superior de Dança in performance art, they secured an “Erasmus” programme scholarship and attended the Hoggenschool Dansacademie Tilburg, Holland in 1998. Their choreographic style is marked by an intense and physical way of moving that integrates strong emotion and passion.
Claudia and Rafael developed their work in contemporary dance creating Vortice Dance Company in 2001. It has now developed in to one of the most prestigious Portuguese companies. Vortice Dance Company has received more accolades abroad than any other company.
DRACULA: Created at the National Opera and Ballet of Macedonia
SOLILOQUY: Created in artistic residence at Theatre Jose L.Silva, Portugal
AQUARIUM: Created for Casino da Figueira da Foz
TGV-LIEGE: Choreography for the production Gare a Vous of Franco Dragone
World Dance Management has been appointed to solely represent Vortice Dance Company in the United Kingdom and are looking forward to UK audiences experiencing the spectacular productions such as Dracula and Soliloquy. Theatre programmers and promoters interested in Vortice Dance Company should contact our office. The directors of Vortice Dance Company are also experienced in choreographing bespoke productions for TV, films and theatres as well as short routines to a specific brief for corporate events.
Vortice Dance Company’s work has been acclaimed by audiences and critics alike from various countries including Japan, France, Romania, Spain, Finland, Denmark, Switzerland, Brazil, Latvia, Hungary, Italy, Marocco, Portugal and Macedonia. This is a perfect opportunity to be amongst the first to introduce this innovative, young and vibrant Company to UK audiences.
Ministry of Arts Portugal
For their creative work, the Company is supported by the Direção Geral das Artes / Ministério da Cultura de Portugal (Ministry of Arts).
Since January 2010 until August 2011 Rafael Carriço was the Director of the Theatre CAE (Centro de Artes e Espetáculos da Figueira da Foz) where the Company was resident.
• Grand Prix of Choreography, Phillip Morris, Ballet and Choreography Competition, Helsinki 2001, given by Tarja Halonem, President of Finland, at the Opera of Helsinki
• 1st Prix Professional at the competition Printemps de la Danse, Gland, Switzerland, in 2001
• Audience Award, 4th Japan International Ballet & Modern Dance Competition, given by His Highness Prince Takamado and Maia Plisetskaya, in 2002
• In November 2000, finalist in the category of ‘Contemporary Duet’ in the 9º Concours International de Danse de Paris.
• Honorable Mention of Ourém City, in 2003
• Phillip Morris Recognition Award at the 7th International Baltic Ballet Festival, at the Opera of Riga, Latvia, given by Vaira Vike-Freiberga, President of Latvia
• Phillip Morris Recognition Award, at the 9th International Baltic Ballet Festival at the Opera of Riga, Latvia, in 2004
• Audience Award at the Best Solo and Duet Festival, at Trafo House of Contemporary Arts in Budapest, Hungary, 2005
• Recognition Award, at the 13th International Baltic Ballet Festival at the Opera of Riga, Latvia, in 2008, given by the Mayor of the city
• Culture Award, at the Gala Evening Troféus Afonso Lopes Vieira, by the newspaper Região de Leiria, Portugal, 2009
• Feminine Culture Award, at the Gala Evening Jornal “O Mirante”, Portugal, 2009